I started off making some little flying geese blocks 1/2″x 1″ finished. Of course I did not have a plan, or know exactly what I was going to do with them. After I had finished a good little collection, I decided I better figure out what my exact plan was going to be. Do I want to make a miniature with lots of little flying geese?
So I did what many of you probably do, I turned to Pinterest and started looking at pictures. Found something that looked interesting and I just happened to have some left over cut pieces for triangles in a square star blocks from a previous project (Oh My Stars) Next I had to figure out how to make my little flying geese fit in with a 9 patch block that was 6″ finished. One would think it would be much easier and much faster to just draw it out…….but not this chickydoodle. I just started stitching pieces together until it fit. After all, I would not want me seam ripper (scissor actually) to feel left out.
Here I am doing the trial and error, to see what will work. I see I needed to add an extra goose in the corner blocks.
I added and extra goose and played around some more to get everything to fit.
This is my first completed block. Right away I was wishing I had made white geese with a red background so the geese would “float” But at least I got everything to work.
Next, I reversed the star colors, because I already had a whole pile of red geese.
Better, but still not what I was looking for. I still think white geese with the red background and white star would really pop. I am not sure what I will do now, my blocks finished off at 8″, much larger than I like in a quilt. So I do not see myself doing a whole large quilt, and yet they are too big to do a 9 block mini wall hanging. I still have a pile of flying geese left, so will finish those off and go from there. Meanwhile, these two blocks will hang out on my design wall, so they can tell me what to do next.
Wishing you and yours a very happy and healthy Thanksgiving.
Update…..I finished one, and oh boy did I get to make friends with my seam ripper.
Somehow I managed to miss the fact that the bottom border is on backwards. Here it is completely quilted and bound. What is a girl to do? Well since no one got to witness the two hours I spend removing the quilting and binding, and taking the border off and turning it around and re-quilting and binding. It is almost like the power of photoshop. One minute it is wrong, and you read a bit farther, and suddenly it is right. It really was not that big of a deal to fix it, because I wanted it fixed. It went faster and easier than I expected, and most of all, I feel much better about it being as good as I can do. This little quilt finishes at 12 1/2″. I think I will sew the staggered geese border on the other one with the red background, going the same direction as the center geese. That is, unless I decide to do something different with it instead.